Before we can welcome you in Kinnaur, you must apply for a visa to the Consulate of India of your country (not in India). All foreign nationals, including children, require a visa to enter India. Here is some brief information regarding Indian Visas:
Visa through VFS Global (for long term tourist visa and other type of visas)
Some years ago, to get an Indian visa you could apply directly to the Consulate of India of your country. In recent years, the Indian government has asked VFS Global to manage the administrative task of the visa application. It is now an intermediary between you and the Consulate. This huge company is a specialist for governments and diplomatic missions worldwide.
VFS has the duty to check all visa application forms and, if they are in good order, VFS sends them to the Consulate of India of your country. This means your application form has to be sent to VFS and not to the Consulate of India.
Each country has its own diplomatic arrangement with the government of India regarding the type and duration of visa. Some countries can get 10 years tourist visa, like Canada or USA, while some only receive 3 months.
How to apply? (Below are basic steps, but please verify with the VFS services of your country)
- Connect to the VFS website of your country, this is the one for UK: www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/
- Choose the type of visa you want (tourist, business, employment, etc.) and follow all the instructions precisely: visa fees, documents required, photo sizes, etc.
- Fill out the online visa application form
- Send all files by courier to VFS or go directly in person to the desk of VFS
- Your passport, together with the visa, will be sent back to you generally within 10 days (for EU).
E-Visa (for tourist visa and short stay in India only)
To boost tourism, India has allowed a certain number of countries to obtain an e-Visa. An e-Visa involves a completely online application, which means that you don’t have to go through the VFS process. However, be aware that this e-Visa is for a short stay in India, a maximum of 1 or 2 months depending on each country.
Also, only a restricted list of countries can apply this E-visa, see the list of countries
How to apply?
- Connect to : indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/Registration
- Fill out the online form and pay the fees
- Your visa, if granted, will be sent to you by e-mail
Warning: The entire process of the E-visa takes place online from the consulate services of India. Do not fall into the trap of unscrupulous agents who claim to express grant an e-Visa and charge money for it.
Have your visa? Welcome to India and to our beautiful Himachal Pradesh! We are looking forward to seeing you there!